September 22, 2010

American Roots

What does it mean to be American? So far, it means being arrogant, stupid, disrespectful, and drunk. When I look around, that is all I see. I see a country whose culture is nothing but a bad influence on others, and one that expects everyone else to get down on their level. How do I embrace my roots when I hate everything about what my country represents? How do I come to peace about being American when I continue to see people that give our country a bad name? How, when I see a McDonald's in the most delicious food capital of the world, and Italians getting wasted and passed out in front of a church (which is a completely American influence)?

Well, it's something I need to come to terms with because as much as I hate to admit it, I cannot run from my roots. As much as I want to I cannot deny where I come from. The sooner I embrace it, the sooner I can move on and attract different experiences into my life. But I also need to fully acknowledge my loathing of the country I live in before I can let anything go.

I hate that we expect everyone to speak English on our behalf, and don't even so much as try to learn theirs. The fact that most of the Florentines can speak some English due to the plethora of tourists that come year round makes me sad because if they don't, their business will suffer; it is do or die, and that kills me. What is so hard about learning the basics at least?! Apparently that is too much work for Americans.

I hate how disrespectful we are to different cultures. Instead of trying to fit in and learn their ways of life, we completely disregard anything foreign and expect them not to get mad or upset; it's easier to piss someone off than be open-minded. When foreigners are in our country, we expect them to learn how we do things, but apparently it's a one way street when it's the other way around. What is that?! We're just a bunch of damn hypocrites.

I hate that we have to get drunk in order to have fun and be crazy. For the most part, Italians don't need to be drunk or even buzzed to be having a great time (though sadly, it's becoming more and more common with Italian youth). When I was at the soccer match the other day, I was amazed at how much energy there was in the crowd, ruminating from the pores of every Italian--young and old.The best part? They were all SOBER. They have true passion for their sport, and they have respect for it. They wouldn't dream of getting drunk at a soccer match, it is their love. In America at football games, most everyone is drunk or at least getting there, and comparatively, we have minimal passion. Everyone cheers together here, as one whole entity, and they are proud of where they come from. I wish I could have the same passion for where I come from, but I can't...at least not yet.

I hate the way we do food. We put a bunch of preservative crap in everything and a disgusting amount of antibiotics and pesticides in and on everything. We treat our animals horrifically, cramming them into unimaginably small spaces and feed them the wrong food just to make them grow bigger to meet the demands we have on beef and other meats. We put an incessant amount of pesticides on our produce in order to 'protect' it because we all eat with our eyes. Everything in Italy is fresh, and I mean EVERYTHING! I love knowing that when I go to the market everything has been grown locally and has no preservatives or pesticides in or on it. I love that I can eat more here and not feel bloated or fat, and still lose weight...which I think has a lot to do with the walking and how fresh everything is. Italians know how to do food; it is truly an art form, and I love being able to take part in that relationship.

 I hate the way we treat our land. We place no value on preserving the land we have and treating it with respect. We strip the earth of it's natural minerals and nutrition with all the chemicals and over-usage. When we see an open plot of land, we snatch it up and put a boring looking condo on it to get the most out of the space (and money). Everything looks the same, grossly standard. There is no originality in any newly constructed areas, and I hate looking at it. In Italy they have an insane respect for preserving their countryside. Everyone has to go through strict regulations and interrogations before anything is approved as far as building goes because they value very highly the space they live in. And I am so glad because their countryside is BEAUTIFUL!! Italy wouldn't be the same without it.

I'm sure there are a few more things I hate, but these are the main ones. For the past two weeks I have been desperately trying to avoid coming across as a stupid American, and have pissed a few people off in doing so, so I need to confront this. As much as I hate to admit it, I am a stupid American. I'll say it again just in case you missed it: I am a stupid American. I don't know everything (though I like to think I do sometimes) and never will. I will never be anything other than American. I am in a place where my roots are prominent and obvious, I can't run and hide anymore. These are my roots, and this is who I am.

I really want to be open to a new perspective...does anyone have any insight for me?

3 comments:

  1. That is so true, sadly to admit it too... American's are arrogant. That is why sometimes going to another country is good, to make us upen our eyes and see how dumb we are acting. Sometimes even I catch myself saying, "speak english people!" but that is because I am in the U.S. but i wouldnt expect other countries to know english if I go to visit. That isnt right and you are right about that. Italy is very antique i would say.. Im not sure, but im assuming the buildings there are old, which gives it its uniqueness ( i dont think that is a real word, but you know what i mean. lol). American's really aren't all that great. If i could, I would love to live in another country. I think I might. Lets move to Italy together for a year! hahahaha, I would be so down for that... But I like your perspective in things girl, Ive always loved how your mind thinks. :) Keep em coming!!
    -Stephanie <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sei nella città in cui è nato il Rinascimento, stai guardando piu di mezzo millennio di civiltà , gli USA esistono da un paio di secoli al confronto sono come bambini.
    -----
    You are in the city where the Renaissance was born, you're watching more than half a millennium of civilization, the U.S., there are a couple of centuries as the comparison children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather! It's Lauren.
    Listen, I get your anger, I really do. In fact I have been saying similar things to some people here in Brasil. But the thing is, if we are stupid Americans then why are we going out to explore new places in the world? You, me, and those who are out traveling shows that some of us do yearn for a better education, a better way to act and live. We are creating a better name for America by trying and succeeding in our new environments. Learn the language, traditions, fashion, etc. We can think and we can change. Just because you were born in America doesn't mean that you are tied down forever there- live in Italy. Hell, we will all come visit YOU! :) My point is that we don't have to resent it even if we disagree with the disrespect and treatment of food and animals. It is a young country and the overall consciousness needs to rise, but that starts with you and me and our generation. We are heading towards health and wholeness even though it may not seem like it. Have faith in people and they might surprise you ;D
    On the other hand it makes other countries look fricken amazing, right? SOMEBODY had to be the dumb one and we happened to draw the short straw hahaha Love you and keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete